Thursday, September 18, 2014

Introduction and Understanding

So I return a year later realizing that I totally slacked off and forgot about this blog. But here I am again attempting to go at it once again.

Let me introduce. CapSim (https://capsim.com/) is a purchased online software where organizations and the likes use it as a training purposes to introduce management skills. You are a one hundred million dollar company that sells sensors and your team's job is to manage the company for however long your organization designate it. You can't go bankrupt. But you can screw up so bad that the bank refuse to loan you any money which prevent you from growing and eventually winning. I initially played this simulation in my college as part of a senior year project in a Management course. I had a wonderful professor. Unfortunately, I didn't do so well in the class due to an exam which I am terrible at remembering facts. I ended up retaking the class which let me play with this simulation twice and I got really into it competitively trying to come up on top on the class. Lets just say I've learned a lot about corporation management and got me really interested in the subject of entrepreneurship.

Enough about me. There are multiple ways to go about this simulation. This depends on how your organization is going to grade you on. There is a thing called Scorecard in the simulation that you must meet certain criteria to get full points. This is hard to achieve perfect score and you might be graded on this. There is another scoring system on the website that is just based on how well you're doing in comparison to other teams. This is easy to score a lot of points and you can play aggressively with this scoring (by taking out as much loans as you can to grow your business into a GIANT. You can't do this if you're graded on the scorecard because you will lose a lot of points for having too much loans). There are other ways to be graded, but these are the two main sources that your organization might grade you on.

Remember these points:
1. Happy customer = more profit
2. More money to utilize = better products (You can say that about Samsung)
3. Innovation is key (You can say that about Apple, but not really) <-- By this, I mean bringing out new products as soon as possible; beating your competitors. Porter's Five Forces might be relevant.

That's the introduction. Feel free to comment and post concerns, tips, trick, etc. Continue onto the next post for more information.

Question? Comments? Suggestions? Leave them in the comment section!

1 comment: